Azul produces three different distributions of Zulu: CA, SA, and NV.
All of our Zulu distributions have been verified by passing all tests of the OpenJDK Community Technology Compatibility Kit (TCK) as available for each respective Java SE version.
The CA distribution is our “Community Access” build of Zulu.
- CA builds of Zulu are commercially supported Azul Zulu builds of OpenJDK free to use without restrictions.
- CA builds of Zulu are available for download by anyone from https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/.
- The CA distribution is not guaranteed to be free of GPLv2 classpath contamination. See for more information.
The SA distribution is our “Subscriber Access” build of Zulu.
- SA builds of Zulu are tested, certified, and commercially supported Azul Zulu builds of OpenJDK whereby Azul ensures that software that uses the Accessible APIs of the product is not required to carry a specific license and that such use does not contaminate the code or intellectual property of such software with any license requirements. See for more information.
- SA builds are available to Zulu Enterprise and Zulu Embedded Subscribers.
- Zulu Enterprise subscribers may not redistribute Zulu builds
- Zulu Embedded subscribers can redistribute and embed Zulu SA builds
The NV distribution is our “Non-Verified” build of Zulu.
- NV builds are tested, certified, and commercially supported Azul Zulu builds of OpenJDK.
- Unlike the SA builds, NV builds are not guaranteed to be free of licensing contamination.
- NV builds are available to Zulu Enterprise Subscribers only. NV builds are not suitable for redistribution or embedding.
- The primary difference between SA and NV builds is that some experimental features of Java 11 have dependencies that are non-compliant with GPL v2 with Classpath Exception licensing, so these features are removed from our SA builds.
- The most prominent example is the Graal JIT compiler. If you want to try the Graal JIT compiler, you must use an NV build.
- Most Zulu Enterprise and all Zulu Embedded customers use SA builds.